02 May How to Choose the Right Probiotic for You?
WHY STRAIN LEVEL RESEARCH IS KEY
The foundation of a brilliant life is brilliant health, which as more and more scientific research shows, begins with a healthy gut! Scientific studies have shown that ingestion of specific strains of friendly bacteria—probiotics—enhances several physiological functions, particularly the body’s natural defence system and intestinal well-being. Probitics are live micro-organisms which, when administrated in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host. A balanced intestinal microflora is highly important to keeping the body in healthy working order.
GOOD BACTERIA AND BAD BACTERIA
When all is well, good bacteria should make up about 90 percent of your gut microbiota (the population of microbes living in your intestines). But factors like illness, medications, diet and stress, can skew the ratio of good to bad and lead to disorders such as gastrointestinal distress, inflammation, eczema, a weakened immune system, diarrhoea or constipation.
When this happens, adding an extra dose of good bacteria from a probiotic supplement helps bring harmony back to the tummy. Fermented foods, such as kombucha, yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, miso and kefir all contain probiotics, though they don’t deliver quite the punch that a supplement does.
Unfortunately, finding the right probiotic for your body isn’t a walk in the park, or in the case, the walk down the Health & Beauty aisle, that it should be. There are thousands of different probiotic options on the market, all with varying potency and mind boggling ingredients. And with tongue-twister names like Streptococcus thermophilus and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis – “Aah yes, I’ll have half a billion please?” – how do you go about choosing the best Probiotic for you?
HOW TO CHOOSE WHICH IS THE RIGHT PROBIOTIC TO USE FOR YOU?
“Read the Label!”
Picking a probiotic is much more complicated than, say, picking a multivitamin or your favourite football team. However a general rule of thumb is that the label information should always include information on the three levels:
- Strain of the microorganisms (Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 for example)
Many products list only the genus and species, but different strains of microorganisms provide different benefits, and this is the most important factor when choosing a Probiotic.
THREE LEVELS OF PROBIOTICS
Probiotics are identified at three levels: Genus, species and strain.
BENEFITS OF STRAIN LEVEL
Studies confirm that physiological benefits are strain-specific and only rarely apply to species. According to the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics (ISAPP) a probiotic must:
- Be alive when administered
- Have undergone controlled evaluation to document benefits in the target host
- Be a taxonomically defined microbe or combination of microbes (genus, species and strain level)
- Be safe for its intended use
STRAINS ARE YOUR GUARANTEE FOR A PROBIOTIC THAT IS EFFICACIOUS AND SAFE!
So, when choosing the right Probiotic for you, make sure you know:
- The number of organisms contained in a single dose and how frequently you should take it. Pick one that has at least seven strains, and five billion CFU (colony forming units).
- How to store the Probiotic. Some forms need to be refrigerated while others need a dark, cool space. The general rule of thumb is always keep probiotics away from moisture and heat.
- That the probiotic is “viable through end of shelf life” ensures the living microbes are in fact still living. Give a miss to any probiotic with a label that says “viable at time of manufacture,” which is a guarantee that some of the live cultures would have expired by the time you make your purchase.
- That that they are encapsulated pills, or have other delayed-rupture technology, to ensure the bacteria survive the trip through your acidic stomach and actually reach your colon.
For daily maintenance, we recommend a probiotic with multiple strains of bacteria because the gut contains many different kinds of strains – so the more the merrier. If you’re trying to treat a particular problem, make sure your probiotic contains the specific strains required.
There are several supplements on the market; however, the best ones to use are those that have been subjected to rigorous scientific study and are proven to be effective. Strain-level research is key, and you can be sure that the strains in your probiotic are of the highest quality and backed by solid scientific research.
Whilst developing our probiotic “Brilliant Biotic”, we carefully selected 16 key strains* because science has demonstrated that level to be an optimum amount for the vast majority of people to attain and maintain a healthy gut. The sicker your gut is, the more imbalanced it is, the higher the dose will be needed to create a positive effect if you use less effective probiotics. Brilliant Biotic negates the need to take a higher dose and can also guarantee 30 billion live microorganisms at the time of expiration, rather than just at the time of manufacture.
Take Brilliant Biotic on an empty stomach at least twice a day for at least three months to:
- Regulate local and systemic immune function
- Regulate in ammation
- Regulate bowel motility
- Support mucosal barrier
- Support resistance to pathogens
*Each dose of “Brilliant Biotic” nourishes you with 30 Billion micro flora containing 16 viable strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobaciilus gasseri, Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis, Bifidobacterium breve, Streptococcus thermophilus, Howaru® Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM™, Howaru® Bifidobacterium lactis HN019, Howaru® Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001.
For more information on Chris James Brilliant Biotic, PLEASE CLICK HERE